Taking it to the Mediterranean Islands with these Chicken Skewers!🇹🇷🇨🇾 As a Turkish Cypriot, I just had to create a dish that symbolised home. This does just that! I guess the only thing that was missing was an actual charcoal BBQ to give it that chargrilled flavour we all crave in a kebab! So if you do make these, then I recommend making them on BBQ if you have access to one, otherwise you can do what I did and place them under the grill. They’ll still taste great, I promise 🙂
- 12-15 Wooden Skewers
- 4 Skinless Chicken Breasts, Diced
- Juice of 1 Lime
- 2tsp All Purpose Seasoning
- 2tsp Paprika
- 1tsp Garlic Powder
- 1tsp Chilli Powder
- 1tsp Dried Coriander
- 1tsp Lemon and Thyme Chicken Seasoning
- 1/2tsp Ground Cumin
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 Red Bell Peppers
- 2 Yellow Bell Peppers
- 2 Green Bell Peppers
- 250g Baby Button Mushrooms or 150g Mushrooms, halved
- 3 Red Onions
- 2 Large White Onions
- Cooking Oil Spray
- Fresh Coriander, chopped
- Marinate the diced chicken breasts with all of the seasonings (except for the salt*) and allow to marinate for 6 hours or preferably overnight. The longer you allow the chicken to sit in the seasonings, the better the taste will be.
- If using wooden skewers, soak them for at least 2 hours before use or overnight. This step is important as it prevents the skewers from burning and prevents the ingredients from sticking to them.
- Wash and chop all the vegetables into large chunks and divide them into separate bowls.
- Assemble the skewers. You can get creative with this step and add the ingredients in any order you like!
- Once the skewers have all been assembled, sprinkle a good amount of salt over them and spray a generous amount of cooking oil.
- Cook on BBQ or under the grill, turning halfway until the chicken has turned a golden brown.
- Sprinkle fresh coriander as soon as they Chicken Skewers are cooked.
*Salt tends to draw out moisture from ingredients. Do not leave the chicken to marinate with salt as this will result in the chicken being dry. Only add salt right before or during cooking stage.
Serve with Pitta Bread/Flat Breads, Rice, Salad, Hummus and Tzatziki to enjoy the full experience. 😛
If you enjoyed this blog and recipe, please subscribe to my blog by clicking the follow button, you don’t even need an account, simply enter your email and you can receive an email notification when I post more delicious recipes like this one!😋 Also feel free to check us out on Instagram to see more posts @_thespicecabinet